Message Regarding Online Lab Courses for Fall 2020
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry will offer our chemistry lab courses online using the following basic model:
- Lab quizzes (if applicable) will be administered online through GauchoSpace.
- Experiments will be performed by the TAs and recorded on video. The videos will be posted on GauchoSpace.
- Students will watch the video and record experimental data as required by the lab. Other necessary data will be uploaded to GauchoSpace as needed.
- Lab TAs will hold interactive office hours online.
- Lab reports will be submitted online through GauchoSpace and be graded by the TAs.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry intends to provide the same excellent standard of quality and active learning through this new platform as we would in our in-person labs. We understand the complexities and concerns regarding this situation, but rest assured that your educational quality is being treated with the utmost integrity.
For biochemistry lab courses, a similar model, as outlined in more detail here, applies.
General Frequently Asked Questions
Q. I’m on the waiting list. Should I crash the labs when the quarter begins?
Q. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into the class?
- Since there will be no crashing, just remain on the waiting list and choose all sections that work with your schedule as if you had to attend in person. We will do our best to make sure students that need the class to graduate will get in and we are doing our best to accommodate as many students as possible.
Q. I have a course conflict and want to switch lab sections. How will lab-switches happen remotely?
A. If you and another enrolled student wish to switch lab sections, please click here to complete a Lab-Switch form. Note that we only allow lab switches for students who have an academic course conflict.
Q. How can I receive the course materials (i.e. - lab manuals) while away from UCSB?
A. Course materials found via the Bookstore can be shipped to your mailing address.
Q. I do not have access to a computer/laptop for Fall Quarter. What should I do?
A. Free Chromebook rentals will be available at UCSB Food Security and Basic Needs Advising Center, please click here to find out more.